Enrolment for the Autumn term is now closed. Enrolment for Spring 2018 will open on Monday 17th of September.
If you have a child who has expressed an interest in learning an instrument you need to consider the following before signing up for tuition
My child wants to play an instrument what should they play and what do we do to book lessons?
- Generally the best age for starting to play an instrument will depend on the child – their size, ability to concentrate and for wind and brass instruments whether they have their second teeth through. It is not possible to start woodwind and brass instruments (apart from the recorder) if the second top and bottom teeth are not fully through. Saxophones can be quite heavy and might not be suitable for a child with small hands.
- Have they heard anyone play the instrument they are choosing?
- Do you have any noise factors to consider as they will have to practise regularly in order to make progress (e.g. neighbours). All instruments will take a level of commitment from both the child and the parents in order for progress to be made.
- Do you have an instrument? Pianos, guitars and drum kits are not available from us to hire and we hire out other instruments subject to availability. You will need an instrument at home for them to play on (and to take to lessons – we do not expect you to take drum kits, keyboards and pianos into school!)
- Have you asked your school whether they offer tuition directly?
Generally most instruments are suitable for most children in year 3 and above. Occasionally infant schools may offer violin, cello, recorder, piano, keyboard, guitar and ukulele.
If your school has directed to you to our website and you know the instrument you wish to sign up for please click on the ENROL button below to select the school. Please note lessons will not be arranged until the enrol process is complete and payment has been made.
If the name of your school is not on the system, please ask them if they offer tuition directly.
Barnet Education Arts Trust (formerly Barnet Music Service) provides instrumental teachers to schools and music centres for individual tuition. All teachers are fully DBS checked and their teaching is regularly monitored.
Lessons are available on a range of instruments including: violin, cello, flute, clarinet,
bassoon, saxophone, drum kit, guitar (classical, folk, electric, and bass), piano, keyboard,
brass, tabla and voice (the instruments offered by your school may vary).
The rates for the Spring Term 2018 are:
- £213.00 for 10 lessons of 30 minutes duration.
- £146.00 for 10 lessons of 20 minutes duration
- £110.00 for 10 lessons of 15 minutes duration (may share 30 minutes with another student if appropriate)
Please note the following TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
If a student is unable to attend a lesson, the lesson is forfeited.
If a teacher is unable to give a lesson, the lesson will be made up at another time or a refund given.
If payment is not received by future deadlines (which will be sent with future invoices), lessons will be cancelled. Unfortunately, after our final deadline, any payments received will be returned as our teachers contracts and timetables will have been issued. We e-mail invoices for future terms just after half term – please let us know if you have not received an invoice by the second week after half term.
Please note that refunds cannot be given once lessons are booked unless the teacher is unable to give the lessons.
PLEASE INFORM US OF ANY CHANGE OF ADDRESS!
What happens once you have signed up and paid?
At the end of the term, after you have signed up, we will send the teachers their lists of students – either the teacher will contact you to let you know when the first lesson will be given or the school will put up a timetable of lessons. We cannot guarantee the time the lessons will take place during the school day.
If you need to hire an instrument?
Please contact the Music Office on 0208 959 4111 to check hire prices and availability.
By signing up for lessons you are agreeing that you have read the above and agree to our terms and conditions.
The closing date for enrolment for the Spring term is Monday 10th December.
Once you have decided on an instrument for your child, please complete the enrolment process below, selecting your child’s school from the drop-down list. You will need your payment card – all major cards are accepted.