Welcome to the Royal Albert Hall @ Home Refuge project!
The Refuge project is now complete, go here to see the finished video!
Thanks to everyone who took part ❤️
Right-click on a track name in the numbered list below the player to download.
- Ask your students to make an audio recording of themselves singing Refuge. There are two ways they can do this.
- First way: they sing along to one of our learning tracks coming through headphones so that it doesn't come out on the final recording. This can be done using 2 smartphones (or any 2 devices, one for playback and one for recording) and a pair of earbuds or headphones. If possible download the track first to avoid glitches in playback from loading and buffering. If students can clap, click, or tap to the beat during the intro, stopping before they sing, that would be a big help for when I do all the production malarkey
- Ask them to email their recording to you/your school (in any standard audio format, AIFF or WAV preferred, but don't sweat it), ideally along with a selfie and permission to use that selfie in our final video (their name won't be shared, just their image. The photo is optional).
- Share your set of recordings and photos with me [email protected] (work mob: 07817 758729). Depending on file sizes simple email should work, if not we can talk and figure the best way. We are of course expecting your beautiful voices and faces too, so please send audio and a selfie too - you know you would have been singing along to at the RAH 🙂
- Second way: You can use the online music maker Soundtrap, which is basically an online version of GarageBand. The advantage of SoundTrap is that all your students need is internet access (it works on any smartphone, tablet or computer), they only need one device to record, and it makes it easy for you to collate their recordings into one place - it is designed for exactly this sort of thing, and makes a nice Music Tech project too.
- If you would like to explore this option, I'm happy to help you get set up. You can also invite me to be a part of your Soundtrap project, meaning I can assist with techy and audio issues. It's currently free to educators for 120 days, GDPR and safeguarding friendly, and if you can handle GarageBand and Google Classroom you can handle Soundtrap!
- Nope, I don't get a cut from Soundtrap, I'm just excited by how easy it is to collaborate with it, and the price is great right now 😬
Two devices record and send, or Soundtrap, whatever works best for you works for us!
Tech questions? Julian - [email protected], 07817 758729
Music questions? Ros - [email protected], 07970 366167